Auburn University Harbert College of Business Logo
Harbert Magazine
Harbert Magazine

Lifelong Love Of Auburn Drives Davis’ Contributions

Portrait of L. Nick DavisNick Davis plays a major role in supporting multiple aspects of Auburn University, including through his passion for the arts. However, he also has a long history of active influence in the regional business community, such as his longtime leadership role as president and board director of the Momma Goldberg’s restaurants.

Davis (’84), sponsors the L. Nick Davis Endowed Scholarship at the Harbert College of Business, and in a recent interview explained why it interests him.

“I believe in Auburn, and I believe in Auburn students,” he said. “While I studied at Auburn, I worked three jobs to support myself and pay my tuition, books and fees. I want today’s students to be able to focus fully on academics, extracurricular activities, social activities, athletics and, frankly, just have fun.

“As I tell my nieces and nephews, ‘It is your job to make excellent grades and enjoy your college years,’” he said. “You may not be able to realize it while you are here at Auburn, but this is the time of your life.

“Love and cherish every moment.”

It’s not, however, all about business with Davis and his love of Auburn. He contributes to the university in a variety of ways, including in his highly visible role supporting The Jay and Susie Gogue Performing Arts Center.

Davis also is an active member of the Gogue Center Development Council, which is a network of volunteer local, regional and national advocates charged with enhancing philanthropic support for the center and its many programs.

His roots at Auburn run deep.

“My earliest memories are of coming to Auburn for gameday weekends. This was before the completion of I-85 from Atlanta, where we lived,” he explained. “The five-hour trip here was full of long, winding roads, building the anticipation of the big game on Saturday.

“I remember going to the area outside of the locker rooms and seeing the coaches and the players,” he recalled. “I still have all my programs from those early years, many with autographs of the Auburn greats: Shug Jordan, Pat Sullivan and Terry Beasley, among many others.

“Auburn is an integral part of my life from my earliest memories, through my adolescence, my college years and the adult years.

“I believe in Auburn and love it.”