Auburn University Harbert College of Business Logo
Harbert Magazine
Harbert Magazine

Executive MBA Sent Engineer To New Heights

Portrait of Metrick HouserReturning to Auburn University to combine a bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering with an MBA from the Harbert College of Business has made Metrick Houser a wanted man.

Houser, who earned his degrees in 1993 and 2001, is a veteran of the pulp and paper business, climbing its leadership ladder to become the director of global sourcing in North America for Sylvamo, a new company spin-off from industry giant International Paper.

“As a graduating high school student, I wanted to be an engineer,” said Houser, originally from Prattville. “I was fortunate enough to receive the Presidential Opportunities Scholarship, which was enough to help my parents pay for my education.”

Houser credits Auburn for helping him enjoy his successful career, and he remains a steadfast supporter of the university.

“I am very fortunate to have two degrees from Auburn University,” he said. “My chemical engineering degree allowed me to establish my footing in the pulp and paper industry. As I matured in my engineering role, a maintenance clerk encouraged me to go back to get my MBA.

“His persistence drove me back to Auburn to participate in the executive MBA program. It fit my busy mill schedule along with the challenges of the birth of our first child.”

He enjoyed gaining an interest in another side of his industry.

“The experience with my small Techno-MBA class and the program fully opened my eyes to being more of a business leader,” he said. “I utilized my learnings from the program to take on more responsibility and seek out roles that challenged both my engineering mind and my growing business desires.”

Houser continues to be active at Auburn, with fond recollections of his student days and in a variety of projects and programs he assists today.

“I met my wife, Jackie, at Auburn, and we will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary in the fall,”
he said.

Among his Auburn memories:  In the early 1990s, he had the opportunity to introduce Shirley Chisholm, the first black woman elected to Congress, as a speaker at an event on campus.